Next Generation Talent & Skills
Young people face multiple challenges navigating the journey from education to work. A lack of information about potential careers, limited practical experience, barriers to training and employment opportunities, social stigma towards vocational careers, and different expectations to older generations – all these can hinder effective decision-making and progress.
At the same time, employers face a challenge recruiting and retaining young people with the skills and attributes they need. A number of sectors already face growing skills and manpower shortages; the construction sector alone has an estimated shortfall of around 10,000 workers. This poses a threat to Hong Kong industries’ long-term productivity, competitiveness and growth.
- Engage secondary school students early, to broaden their career awareness
- Arrange workplace visits, tours and Q&As to give students insights into real work
- Turn work experience into work inspiration, to spark their passion for your sector
- Offer structured internships for university students, to build work-readiness
- Partner with schools, universities and training institutions to ensure alignment of course content with industry needs